Monday, August 11, 2008

The boyfriend

He gets me. I think that is the simplest way that I could describe it. I sit here struggling with over dramatic phrases to describe why we work so well and the best answer is simply that he gets me. He understands me on a level that
surpasses all the others before him. In fact with him there is no comparison. I never find myself looking back saying well this person did it that way… In truth it no longer matters to me how those before him chose to go about being in a relationship. They didn’t work and that seems to be the only relevant thing. Never has another human being made me feel so comfortable in my own skin. I can be silly or serious, creative or dull, and he embraces every facet. I love that. He is my best friend. If I were truly a believer in the concept of Soul Mates, I would even go so far as to say that he is mine. So far there seems to be no downside, but where in other relationships I might be waiting for the other shoe to drop, with him I am simply content. Every time I worry that the relationships of my past have hardened me, he does something that makes me soften. We both have a common goal, to make the other happy. Since we are both quite selfless this becomes difficult at times. ( Imagine me wanting to do what made him happy, and him wanting to do what made me happy, except doing what makes him happy also makes me happy, and doing what makes me happy also makes him happy…. It can be exhausting.) But I’d never complain. We compromise and life goes on.

The future is an exciting prospect. We find ourselves planning far ahead, and often we have to slow ourselves down. Bring each other back to reality for a second so we can focus on the present, only to find ourselves talking about the future again.

Currently we are in a temporary long distance state, as I have gone home for the better part of the summer. This has truly been a test of our relationship, but where before I might have took my frustrations out on my partner in unwarranted arguments, I now feel refreshed with every call I make to him. True nothing can take the place of being where he is, but we are trying , something that has always been one sided for me. Not only are the both of us putting in effort, but we are both succeeding. And so I am here, happy and confident in all that we are.

Love
Your lengthy blogger
XOXO

No comments: